Durham, NC | firstname.lastname@example.org | pinedesk.biz
Software developer, architect, system administrator. I enjoy working with friendly and communicative teams. My favorite part of any project is discovering what makes it magic: why its intended audience prefers it over the alternative, and how product owners hope to take it forward.
Caktus Group, Contractor, September 2016 – Present, Durham, NC
I have worked on a variety of projects adding features and performing maintenance tasks:
- Make steady progress on client projects as part of an Agile team.
- Create out new features and maintain existing systems on the Django framework.
- As a team we help clients throughout the SDLC: craft proposals, estimate new features, do discovery, schedule and implement features.
- Maintain existing existing systems using Salt and Ansible on disparate platforms (AWS, DO, and internal platforms).
Cofactor Software, Contractor, April 2016 – present, San Francisco, CA
I support clients in maintaining their existing Rails systems:
- Maintain and support conference registration system through its yearly business cycle.
- Maintain and support an online education platform.
- Add features and integrations: WYSIWYG editor integration, Mandrill and Slack integrations.
- Maintain Rails platforms including deployment (in-house and Heroku), and perform upgrades.
Cofactor Software, Contractor, June 2014 – April 2016, San Francisco, CA
I maintained and supported mobile ad-serving systems for BrightRoll.
- Fixed client integration bugs, application bugs, and made optimizations to improve overall performance.
- Designed and implemented the bulk of the project’s testing infrastructure: unit test framework, continuous integration, code coverage metrics, and JMeter load testing.
- Migrated the core NodeJS HTTP server to Express.
- Migrated large code base to CommonJS.
- Assisted in Heroku to AWS migrations of several systems.
- Created or contributed patches or forks to open source projects: interval-logger, node-xml2js-xpath, and chainsinon, grafana-docker-dev-env, network_chisel.
VoiceThread, Systems Developer, October 2012 – June 2014, Durham, NC
I worked as a systems developer improving the overall functionality of VoiceThread’s server infrastructure:
- Implemented messaging system to handle SES (Simple Email Service) bounced messages to improve reliability.
- Created a distributed job queuing system to support the ability to decouple frontend web services from backend document processing activities.
- Automated AWS EC2 AMI creation.
- Setup unit testing, and integration testing systems. Setup Jenkins continuous integration system.
- Migrated AWS infrastructure to CloudFormation providing an auto-scaling solution for stacks of servers.
- Helped establish disaster recovery plans, personnel policies, and a security review processes.
- Maintained production infrastructure: monitored server state, evaluated and prioritized new events and was the main point of contact with our AWS service provider.
- Created or contributed patches or forks: sshmux, ec2-check-reserved-instances, cloth.
SharkByte Systems, Lead Developer, April 2006 – November 2012, New York, NY
I filled many technical and managerial roles, and acted as the lead developer.
- Managed up to 6 developers.
- Created organizational processes for development (release planning, QA, testing, regressions) and support (ticketing, technical support docs, etc).
- Researched new technologies & wrote specifications for new products and features.
- Provided technical support.
- Facilitated quarterly and yearly meetings. Led design and technical meetings with clients and vendors.
- Crafted hiring requirements, and interviewed perspective technical staff.
I worked on innumerable projects. Some highlights include:
- Implemented hardware drivers for various hardware: RFID readers, ticket spitters, exit gates, relays, receipt & ticket printers, a Verifone CC terminal, an encrypted MSR, cash acceptors and dispensers.
- Documented change processes required for PCI PABP certification.
- Directed the adoption and maintenance of several software tools: from no bug tracking to Bugzilla, CVS to SVN, ant to maven, no continuous integration to TeamCity.
- Wrote our in-house configuration and support infrastructure.
SharkByte Systems, Developer, May 2001 – April 2006, New York, NY
- Implemented several drivers for peripheral hardware: biometric fingerprint, ticket and receipt printers, and external line displays.
- Deployed, supported and maintained a suite of products.
PineDesk Software, 2005 – 2007 Boston, MA
I developed an educational flash-card application for Palm OS and sold it through Tucows and Handango. Read more about it on its blog (http://pinedesk.blogspot.com).
- Implemented a complete desktop (webstart) and mobile (java via superwaba) product.
- Integrated with the Handango customer registration system.
Barpoint, Inc, Developer, July 2000 – August 2001, New York, NY
- Designed a key/value configuration system for Palm OS product, wrote the C library and Java desktop configuration application.
- Designed an XML DTD schema for a product database, implemented and hosted an HTTP server that allowed customers to query the product database.
- I am an active volunteer with my local Code for America chapter where I onboard new volunteers, and work with local Durham government to build projects that meet the community’s needs.
- I am very interested in interactive data visualizations, and have spent considerable time exploring the medium:
- I have contributed to several open source projects, including:
- Several libraries and applications that I have written are publicly available on github.
I have worked with numerous technologies, including (but not limited to):
- IAAS: AWS
- PAAS: Heroku, OpenShift
- automation: Chef, Ansible, Puppet
- profiling: strace, valgrind, tcpdump, sysdig
- data: R, pandas, scikit-learn, matplotlib.
- databases: Postgres, HSQL, Oracle, MySQL, sqlite, mongo, redis
- app servers: tomcat, jetty, wsgi
- frameworks: Django, Express, Rails, Meteor, Angular
- frontend: jQuery, Choo, Redux, lodash, React, Backbone, D3.
- testing: junit, easymock, spock, nose, jasmine, mocha, marathon, dbunit, SimpleTest, PHPUnit, Selenium, Jmeter, Gatling
- virtualization: Xen, vagrant, docker
- administration: shell scripts, sed, gawk, rsync, jq, nmap, etc
- build tools: ant, maven, cake, make, gradle, rake, composer, npm, gulp
- windows: cygwin, ActiveX
BS in Computer Science Washington University in St Louis 1998-2000
Graduated in 2000, cum laude.
BA majoring in Pre Engineering Warren Wilson College 1995-1998
Graduated in 2000. Awarded the Katherine A Fitton Award in Mathematical Science.